If your new horse disobeys your instructions? Or is it a misunderstanding cue? What if I tell you the problem can be with the bit you’re using for your horse? A bit is the forward-most part of the bridle. The bit is essential in controlling the horse’s behavior and your command of the horse. Although head tossing in horses can signal various issues, poorly fitted bit is a prominent reason. We categorized the best bit for a horse that throws his head to ease your riding.
Horse Tossing Head- How Can Bit Be a Reason?
Have you ever noticed that annoying insect teasing your horse and your horse throws his head? Not just these insects, but any lameness or back pain can also result in a horse tossing its head.
Uncomfortable bits can cause your horse to toss his head in the air continuously while riding. It is not just a single-day check that can tell you what is wrong with the bit. It will take a thorough inspection of the bit to judge the problem.
Bit forms a communication channel between the rider and the horse’s mouth along with the bridle and reins signals. This channel helps the horse understand the cue better.
The tongue consists mostly of muscle tissues and this tissue cushions the bit pressure on the lower jaw. When the bit applies the pressure, the horse coordinates it with the rider’s leg signals and his weight distribution over the horse’s back.
A well-schooler-trained horse needs little pressure on a bit for communication to set up. But what if this theory fails at your end? Your horse is not obeying any signal from you and the horse is tossing its head in negligence.
When the bit doesn’t fit the horse correctly, it can cause mouth pain in horses. The improper fit bit causes the horse to toss the head. Your one horse would differ in the bit requirement from the other horse.
Best Bit For a Horse That Throws His Head
1. Happy Mouth Double Joint Roller Loose Ring- Bit With the Strong Apple Scent
Happy Mouth ergonomically produces a ‘horse’s happy mouth bit.’ This double joint roller loose ring bit is a sweet copper comfortable mouthpiece for horses.
Advantages of using Happy Mouth Double Joint Roller Mouth Bit-
- This double-side joint roller provides independent movement on either side of the mouth of a horse.
- They advise Happy Mouth bit for advanced training of horses as it won’t interfere with the horse’s palate.
- Horses accept the bit’s long-lasting apple scent easily.
- It consists of durable and non-toxic plastic mouthpieces.
- Traditional loose ring action is gentle on horses with any riding discipline.
2. Korsteel JP Stainless Steel Oval Link Eggbutt Snaffle Bit
JP bit presented by Korsteel in conjunction with world-famous jockey and trainer John Patterson differs from the other jointed snaffle bits. It is a soft curved mouthpiece and not straight like other conventional jointed snaffles.
Advantages you get in using Korsteel JP Oval Link Snaffle Bit-
- JP bits feature curved bars that prevent hitting the mouth roof of the horse by the bit.
- This softly curved bit comes with a double joint which helps in eliminating the nutcracker-like action. This action of a single joint results in pinching of the horse’s tongue.
- The horse doesn’t experience any direct pressure on the tongue due to the curved shape of the mouthpiece of JP bits.
- Korsteel Oval Link Eggbutt Snaffle Bit encourages relaxation of the tongue and salivation, which allows effective communication between the rider and the horse.
- The texture of stainless steel is excellent for all training and riding purposes.
3. Western All Purpose Ring Horse Snaffle Stainless Steel Copper Roller Jointed Mouth Snaffle Bit
Western All Purpose Roller Jointed Snaffle Bit is visually and functionally attractive to riders. It is the first choice of equestrian beginners. The seller exclaims it to be the best gift for your equine lover friends on their birthday or purchase of a new horse.
Advantages of using Western All Purpose Stainless Steel Copper Roller Mouth Snaffle Bit-
- This bit comes with a copper roller which is believed to calm the nerves and promote salivation in horses.
- The roller of bits is attached to the reins, and hence it acts as a directional aid. It provides nice lateral support.
- This bit is unique in appearance because of its western-style cowboy horse’s mouth along with the copper roller around.
- It comes with low to average leverage, which provides easy fitting into the mouth.
- The acceptance of the snaffle roller bit is more because the horse is kinda playful towards it and the way it relaxes the jaw.
4. Korsteel Stainless Steel Copper Roller Mouth Eggbutt Snaffle Bit
The connection of the horse with the rider is established significantly with the saddles and the bridleway. The Collegiate’s Copper Roller Mouth Snaffle bit offers consistent contact with the horse’s mouth.
The advantages of using Collegiate’s Stainless Steel Copper Roller Mouth Eggbutt Snaffle Bit are-
- This Eggbutt Snaffle Bit provides consistent contact with the horse’s mouth due to fixed and oval-shaped rings.
- The copper roller aids in increasing the relaxation of jaws and salivation.
- This bit fixes the horse tossing its head in the air by applying the required pressure on the tongue and promoting lower head carriage.
- It has two joints that help distribute the pressure over the tongue and the mouth bars.
- Benefits of Eggbutt Snaffle Bit include the elimination of any extra poll pressure by the cheeks.
5. Black Horse Snaffle Stainless Steel Copper Roller Bit
The Black Horse Snaffle Bit by brand Shee is one of the top-rated stainless steel along with the copper roller bit options available.
Advantages of getting Black Horse Snaffle Bit with the copper winding-
- This is the best bit for the horse that throws his head. Copper rolls of this snaffle bit keep the horse calm in harsh training.
- Its premium quality stainless steel increases the lifespan of the bit and thus makes it a onetime investment for a long duration.
- It has no holes on the surface and Shee’s Black Horse Snaffle Bit is wide and thick enough to long last in multiple riding disciplines.
- It is a western-style cowboy mouth, black embedded in a German silver decorative board, along with three small copper rings.
- Shee supplies the bit with one one-year warranty, a 30-day money-back, and 24*7 customer support, which increases its credibility in the market.
Q 1- Why does my horse keep throwing his head?
Ans- Horse mostly tosses their head when something is causing them pain or anxiety. The pain causes are- the poor fitting saddle, back pain, hoof injury, ill-fitted or inappropriate metal bit, any sort of lameness, and more.
Q 2- How is a bit responsible for a horse tossing its head?
Ans- Firstly, rule out all other causes of throwing head. If the problem is a bit, then check for the fitting and its pressure along with the rein on the tongue & other mouthparts. Also, if the metal used in the bit is likable to the horse or not.
Q 3- How to choose the right bit for the horse?
Ans- The bit should not be too large or small to cause discomfort to the horse. The rings of the bits shouldn’t press hard against the cheeks. Short bits are pinching or rubbing bit will damage the skin at the mouth corners and cheeks.
Q 4- Are bits important for horses tossing their head?
Ans- Yes. Many riders don’t prefer bit in their bridle. It also depends on the riding activities they subject the horse to. Bits are important to handle the spooky horses who always have their head. Bits are important to set up good communication between the rider and the horse.
You must check the bits you’re choosing for horses regularly. If the bit is too narrow or pinching, the horse will show discomfort by tossing his head. A mouthful of the bit can also invite the same reaction from your horse.
When using curb bits, see for the loose curb strip so as not to rotate in the mouth. Is the bit too harsh for the horse? Is the wrong bit harming the gums or lips of the horse?
You must cover different points before concluding which bit is best for a horse that throws his head.
Western All Purpose Ring Horse Snaffle Bit, Black Horse Snaffle Stainless Steel Copper Roller Bit, and Korsteel JP Stainless Steel Oval Link Eggbutt Snaffle Bit are some of the premium bits for your horse.
Next time if your horse throws his head, it may be a signal to change the bit.