Did you know that inorganic magnesium supplements absorb more than the magnesium from natural sources? Magnesium forms such as magnesium oxide, magnesium carbonate, and magnesium sulfate have a 70% higher absorption rate than magnesium available in natural sources. We have curated the best magnesium supplement for horses that has a promising effect on your horse’s behavior and health.
Why is the Need for Equine Magnesium Supplement?
Veterinarians won’t recommend a magnesium supplement unless your horse shows noticeable magnesium deficiency signs. There are fair chances of your horse being magnesium deficient. The spring grasses grow fast and hence cannot store sufficient magnesium in them.
The extensive use of fertilizers rich in nitrogen and potassium competes for magnesium intake by crop roots. This results in lower magnesium concentration in forage. The soil texture also regulates the availability of magnesium to the pasture plants.
According to NRC studies, most of the common equine feedstuffs contain 0.1-0.3% magnesium and its absorption rate lies between 40 and 60 percent.
Experts suggest that the best magnesium supplement for horses must satisfy their body's magnesium demand, as shown by the data.
Best Magnesium Supplements for Horses- Recommended by Veterinarians
1. Magnesium 5,000 (20lb)- Total Amount of Elemental Magnesium Required in One Serving
Brand Med-Vet Pharmaceuticals has bought a unique 5000 mg formula, which claims to provide sufficient magnesium per serving. This dosage is enough to counter the magnesium deficiency commonly present in horses.
Their product has a pronounced effect on calming an anxious horse and increasing the performance of horses.
Some of the advanced features of Magnesium 5000 by Med-Vet Pharma are:
- It is present in pellet and oil form, making it palatable for picky horses.
- Nutritive and environmental stress give birth to gastric ulcers in horses. Med-Vet Pharma has planned magnesium for ulcers in horses to increase the recovery rate and lessen the recovery period.
- Magnesium 5000 increases the metabolism in horses, making them more active and alert on the ground.
- It improves muscle functions and improves the muscle strength of performing horses.
- This supplement is less on carbs and sugars, making it suitable for different classes of horses.
- It is one of the best magnesium supplements available to ease the signs of nervousness in horses and produce a calming effect.
2. Uckele Magnesium Oxide Horse Supplement- Horse Vitamin and Mineral Supplement
Uckele Magnesium Oxide Supplement is shown for various absolute and relative magnesium deficiencies in horses. Scientists claim Magnesium Oxide to be a 58% more concentrated form of magnesium than other magnesium forms.
The benefits of Uckele Magnesium Oxide Supplement for horses are:
- It supports healthy heart and muscle functions in horses of all ages.
- The highly concentrated nature of magnesium oxide promotes sugar metabolism in a horse’s body by increasing insulin sensitivity.
- The unflavored powder form of the product makes it palatable.
- Magnesium Oxide bears an antacid property promoting gastric ulcer healing and relieving indigestion.
- It helps in reducing heartburn occurrence in horses.
- Uckele Magnesium Oxide Supplement is cost-effective when compared to the other brands present in the market, providing the same or less physiological and behavioral effects on horses showing signs of magnesium deficiency.
3. Quiessence Foxden Equine Magnesium Pellets: Magnesium for Spooky Horses
If you’re looking for a behavior-balancing supplement for your horse, Quiessence Foxden Equine Magnesium is the one.
Here are some points to consider for opting for the Foxden Equine Magnesium supplement:
- It is the best magnesium supplement for spooky and inattentive horses.
- Along with the muscle and nerve function, it also helps in reducing the occurrence of cresty neck in horses.
- Qiessence Equine Magnesium supplement helps in promoting normal glucose metabolism in animals’ bodies.
- It comes with the benefits of chromium, which helps in mobilizing the blood glucose in the tissue.
- Horses enjoy the banana flavor of the supplement, making it easy to feed.
- They call it a ‘founder sore muscle supplement’ because it helps relieve the excess tension or tightness in the muscles of horses after heavy workouts.
4. MVP Magnesium 5,000: Calming Magnesium Supplement for Horses With Ulcers
MVP Magnesium 5,000 comes in pellet form to provide the horses with the required magnesium quantity in a day. It helps horses prevent ulcers from occurring in the gut. A happy gut implies a healthy horse. This increases the efficiency of the horse at work and makes it more pleasant.
Other advantages of MVP supplements include:
- MVP Magnesium 5,000 can help prevent and treat ulcers in horses by producing buffering action against excess acid.
- It helps in alleviating magnesium deficiency signs in horses like excess anxiety and refusal to work.
- This product is easy to use. It is non-flavored, making it a suitable choice for spooky horses who may refuse the flavored supplements in their feed.
- Years of research have resulted in formulating a mixture that is composed of magnesium, crude fat, crude fiber, and crude protein in an appropriate ratio.
- It helps in correcting the uncoordinated gait of horses because of abnormal nervous function in the body.
- It improves the metabolism in horses and also produces a calming effect on anxious horses.
How to Choose the Best Magnesium Supplement for Your Horse?
There are multiple factors to consider before choosing the right supplement for your horse. Every brand tries to copy others in terms of their selling formula. As a buyer, you must know the things to notice before investing in a magnesium supplement for horses.
1. Bioavailability of Magnesium
It is the measure of the percentage of provided substance to the horse that is absorbed in the systemic circulation. This amount is equal to the substance available to act.
According to the research data, magnesium oxide, magnesium carbonate, and magnesium sulfate have a bioavailability between 60-70% in horses.
They absorb most of this elemental magnesium through the second half of the small intestine and the least absorption is in hindgut.
2. The concentration of the Magnesium Form
The concentration of the magnesium element in the product defines the nutritive and commercial value of the value.
The concentration of magnesium varies in magnesium form (salt). For example, magnesium oxide has more concentration of magnesium macro mineral per serving than any other form. Hence, making it a cost-efficient constituent.
Q 1. What does magnesium do for horses?
Ans- Magnesium, a macro mineral, is essential for over 300 biochemical processes in the body. In horses, it helps maintain nerve function, muscle function, ionic balance, and the co-factor of important enzymes.
Q 2. Do horses need magnesium supplements?
Ans- An adult horse needs nearly 7.5 grams of magnesium per day to maintain its normal metabolism and body functions. For extra work or other physiological functions (pregnancy and lactation), extra magnesium. Also, the signs of magnesium deficiency disappear with adding magnesium supplements to the horse’s diet.
Q 3. What are the best magnesium supplements for horses?
Ans- Uckele Magnesium Oxide Horse Supplement, MVP Magnesium 5,000 supplement, and Quiessence Foxden Equine Magnesium Pellets are some of the leading brands offering absorbable magnesium forms for horses.
Q 4. Which type of magnesium supplement is best for horses?
Ans- Different magnesium forms have different absorbing capacities in the body of a horse. Magnesium oxide is one of the best absorbable and cost-effective forms available in products, like the Uckele Magnesium Oxide Horse Supplement.
The need for magnesium supplements in horses arises from the low availability of nutritively balanced hay or forage say in spring. Also, magnesium deficiency in horses demands an instant supply of regular magnesium sources for the desired period.
You must consult the veterinarian or refer to the manufacturer’s guidelines for the dosage and duration of feeding supplements.
You must evaluate the ingredients and their efficacy in terms of the bioavailability and concentration of elemental magnesium per serving of the product.
Some of the best magnesium supplements for your horses listed above in this article include the Uckele Magnesium Oxide Horse Supplement, MVP Magnesium 5,000 supplement, and Quiessence Foxden Equine Magnesium Pellets.
We evaluate these products in terms of magnesium form, palatability, and commercial value.
Magnesium is the super mineral for curing ulcers in horses, calming spooky horses, improving resistance against diseases, and promoting overall well-being.